The terms and conditions listed here are general conditions applicable to all contracted work. A personalized contract will be provided to each Client which is required to be signed when the scope of work is agreed and before work commences.
1. These terms & conditions apply to any work done for the Client by the Freelancer, Eleanor Bolton.
2. The Client is under no obligation to offer the Freelancer work; neither is the Freelancer under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
3. The Freelancer will provide service(s) as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Client.
4. The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by the Freelancer, using her own equipment.
5. The Freelancer confirms that she is self-employed, is responsible for her own tax contributions and will not claim benefits granted to the Client's employees.
6. The Freelancer agrees to attend the Client's or other premises for necessary meetings. The time spent and agreed reasonable expenses incurred will be reimbursed by the Client.
7. The Client will reimburse the Freelancer for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work.
8. The Client will pay the Freelancer a fee per hour OR per printed page OR an agreed flat fee for the job.
9. The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
10. If, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, the Freelancer may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
11. Similarly, if, during the term of the Freelancer's work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, the Freelancer may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
12. If the project is lengthy, the Freelancer may invoice periodically for completed stages.
13. Copyright of any content created by the Freelancer as part of the copyediting/proofreading/project management process will belong to the Freelancer until payment for the services has been made in full. At that point, copyright of all content will transfer to the Client, unless otherwise agreed.
14. The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
15. If the Freelancer's work is unsatisfactory, the Freelancer will rectify it in her/his own time and at her/his own expense.
16. Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, payment will be made on receipt of the Freelancer's invoice.
18. Either the Client or the Freelancer has the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
19. If the Freelancer has made a substantial contribution to the copyediting/proofreading/project management of the work, she will be entitled to receive one free copy of the work.
20. The Freelancer may use the Client's name and the titles of projects she has worked on in her promotional material.
21. This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales [or Scots or Northern Ireland law, as appropriate], and both Freelancer and Client agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh [or Scots or Northern Ireland] courts.
22. When the Client confirms to the Freelancer that they have read these terms and conditions, this means that the Client agrees to abide by them.